Pink Ribbon Walk's Blog
2 Posts , Viewing posts 1 to 2
Pink Ribbon Legacy Lunch in Kells on Friday October 11th
Following 10 years of fantastic success with the Boyne Valley Pink Ribbon Walks in Kells, the organising committee has decided to celebrate their achievements by inviting supporters to a lavish 'Legacy Lunch' in the Headfort Arms Hotel on Friday October 11th.
In the summer of 2009, a group of women from Kells - some of whom had been affected by breast cancer themselves – decided to organise a sponsored 10k run and walk to raise money for Action Breast Cancer – a programme of the Irish Cancer Society.
Walks have taken place in Kells annually since 2009 and last year marked its 10th Anniversary. Sister walks have also taken place in Killaloe, Kenmare and Kinsale over the past nine years and a Walk will take place in Kinsale at 12 noon on Sunday October 6th 2019 (in the Boyne Valley's usual time slot).
Between them, the Walks have raised a staggering almost €1.5 million for the Irish Cancer Society and the Legacy Lunch will also be a fundraiser for the cause.
All of this money has gone directly to the cancer charity to fund a range of vital services, including their Collaborative Cancer Research Centre BREAST-PREDICT, the National Cancer Helpline Freefone, breast cancer information literature, night nursing facilities, a free transport scheme and many other essential support initiatives – as well as ongoing scientific research.
The 2019 Legacy Lunch will take place in the Kenlis Suite of the four star Headfort Arms Hotel at 2pm on Friday October 11th during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The dress code is 'A Hint Of Pink!'
Those in attendance at the event will enjoy a delicious lunch featuring local Boyne Valley region ingredients, the chance to win some fantastic raffle prizes and a great afternoon of live entertainment.
Tickets cost €50 each with all proceeds going directly to the Irish Cancer Society. If you are interested in tickets, sponsorship opportunities or donating a raffle prize, please contact Penny on 087 205 5322. Tickets are also available from Jess in The BookMarket Café in Kells.
Find out about the work of the Irish Cancer Society here. Have you got questions or concerns about cancer? Freephone the Cancer Nurseline on 1800 200 700 from 9am to 5pm on Mondays to Fridays.
Pictured are members of the Boyne Valley Pink Ribbon Walk committee handing over the €40,000 proceeds from the October 2018 event to a representative from the Irish Cancer Society. (Photo by Paul Jones from Meath Photos)
Save the Date! We are delighted to announce that the 10th Anniversary Boyne Valley Pink Ribbon 10km Walk and Run will take place in the heritage town of Kells at 2pm on Sunday October 7th 2018. Join us to raise funds for the Irish Cancer Society and save lives.
Registration costs €20 - which includes an event t-shirt, chipped and pinned race number, a medal for everyone that completes the course and post-event refreshments and entertainment. Every cent of money that participants fundraise will go directly to the Irish Cancer Society to help to support a wide range of vital services for cancer patients and their families.
It is our 10th anniversary this year so we really want to mark it by making this our biggest and best Walk ever! So gather the family or get a gang of friends or work colleagues together and come and join us in Kells. Online registration is now open here and you will find all of the information that you need on our website, including tips on fundraising, tips about training, an explanation of how the money that you raise helps the Irish Cancer Society and a very comprehensive FAQs Section.
We are also delighted to reveal that sportswoman and coach Anna Geary is our Ambassador for 2018 and will be in Kells on the day to lead the warm-up before the event and to lead off the Walk.
We have a new 10km route this year that we hope that you will enjoy. Check out the two photographs and route description below or view the map in more detail here.
We hope to see you in Kells in County Meath on Sunday October 7th 2018!
Here is the Boyne Valley Pink Ribbon Walk 10th Anniversary New Route. You can view a handy PDF of the route here.
* Start in the Church Car Park on Headfort Place. Anna Geary will be with us on the day for the warm up and to lead off the Run/Walk.
* Turn left and carry on up to the Fair Green. Cross the Fair Green and turn left on to the Cavan Road.
* Cross the Cavan Road at the Fairgreen - staying on the pavement - carry on the Cavan Road to the First Roundabout on the N52.
* Turn right on to the N52 and staying in to the side, carry on to the next roundabout.
* Going around the roundabout, turn left on to the Moynalty Road (N64).
* Cross the stone bridge and then take the first turn left on to a quiet country road.
* Take the first right turn (4 Kilometres in to Run/Walk) and carry on for around three-quarters of a kilometre to the First Right Turn back on toKm to the Moynalty Road (R164).
* Go straight across the R164 at the staggered cross roads (Dulane Cross).
* Follow this winding road for 2 kilometres to First Right Turn (6 Kilometres in to Run/Walk in to Williamstown.
* After 1 kilometre, cross the N52 (at Mullaghea Church) and carry on up Cherryhill.
* At the top of Cherryhill, turn right down to Maudlin Bridge. At the bridge, turn left, heading back in to Kells.
* Follow the footpath back in to Kells, turning left at Castle Street corner on to John Street for the finishing line in front of the Bank of Ireland.
Well Done, You’ve DONE IT! Now the fun begins!
* Carry on down Headfort Place to the Kenlis Suite of The Headfort Arms Hotel, where you will be presented with your special edition 10th Anniversary Medal (sponsored by Specsavers) and enjoy complimentary refreshments (Tea/Coffee and a burger - generously sponsored by The Headfort Arms). Enjoy the Bank of Ireland Expo on Healthy Living and be part of our Closing Ceremony with The Inspire Gospel Choir.
* We hope you enjoy your BIG PINK DAY OUT and raise lots of funds for The Irish Cancer Society - Everyone Deserves A Lifetime...